Loving Kindness

Loving Kindness

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Re-post of some of my favorite blog posts from 2010. Eckhart Tolle on Choice. First posted on 1.14.2010

"Choice implies consciousness - a high degree of consciousness. Without it, I have no choice. Choice begins the moment I dis-identify from my mind and its conditioned patterns, the moment I become Self-present. Until I reach that point, I'm unconscious, spiritually speaking. This means that I'm compelled to think, feel, and act in certain ways according to the conditioning of my mind. Nobody consciously chooses dysfunction, conflict, and pain. Nobody chooses insanity. They happen because there isn't enough conscious Self-presence to dissolve the past, not enough light to dispel the darkness. I'm never fully here in the now because I'm either time binding with the past or the future. I have not quite woken up, meaning I'm not fully Self-conscious yet. In the meantime, my conditioned mind is running my life. As long as my mind (with its conditioned patterns) runs my life, what choice do I have? None. I'm not even there yet, and I won't be there until I become Self-conscious. The mind-identified state is severely dysfunctional. It is a form of socially acceptable insanity. Almost everyone is suffering from this illness in varying degrees. The moment I realize this, there can be no more resentment or guilt. How can I resent someone's illness or my own? If I'm primarily run by my mind, I will suffer the consequences of my mind identification, and I'll create further suffering for myself and my loved ones. I will bear the burden of fear, conflict, problems, and pain. The suffering that I'm creating is my mind's false attempt to make me feel safe by ignoring, denying, or repressing that which I'm experiencing."

~Eckhart Tolle "The Power Of Now"
Share |

No comments: