Loving Kindness

Loving Kindness

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Questions for Sage: Learned Helplessness vs. Sacred Surrender

(Question): Is there a difference between learned helplessness and the spiritual concept we call "surrender?"

(Sage): That is an excellent question. Because I am going to place your question on my blog I am going to include a link about learned helplessness here for anyone who might not know exactly what that is. That link is here.
 
My answer comes from both my own personal experience with both of these concepts as well as my observation of this same dance in others. In short, I believe learned helplessness is an expression of the shadow aspect of sacred surrender and sacred surrender is an expression of the Light aspect of learned helplessness. Each contains the seed of the other within it, very similar, I believe, to the traditional depiction of the yin yang symbol.

Share |

No comments: