Loving Kindness

Loving Kindness

Friday, March 4, 2011

So, I was Watching the 2011 NAACP Image Awards when...


...The very popular black, female, Christian musical duo, Mary Mary (Erica Atkins and Tina Atkins) took to the stage and I began to feel sick to my stomach. I was remembering these quotes from the duo in 2007 when, in a very well publicized interview, they gave this response to this question which, in the interim they have not backed away from in the least:

Question/Observation: I’m not sure if you are aware of this, but you have an extremely large gay following -- how do you feel about homosexuality and having a massive gay following?

Erica: "We are aware. Ummm... how do I feel about homosexuality? I feel how God feels about it, but I still love them. I don’t agree with the lifestyle, but I love them. They can come to the concert; I’m going to hug them just like I hug everybody else. They have issues and need someone to encourage them like everybody else -- just like the murderer, just like the one full of pride, just like the prostitute -- everybody needs God. What your struggle is may not be what my struggle is, but we all need Him. So, that's what our music is about giving and God, not to condone the lifestyle or to say, Oh it's okay, but not to bash -- but just to give them God. I mean, I’m appreciative of all of our supporters and fans. Hopefully what their hearing in our music is my love for God."

Tina: "You know, I think the fact that our music is very upbeat and works well in clubs -- you know, I think that's something that makes more people gravitate to it. Like Erica said, we don’t necessarily agree with the lifestyle, but we don’t pride ourselves on bashing. Everyone has things in their life that they need to correct, everybody has struggles, everybody has things that, maybe I should’ve done it this way, maybe I should’ve made this choice, you know, or whatever. Even though that's the way we feel, we don’t bash, we don’t do that kind of thing and we embrace everybody who enjoys our music. Hopefully our music is impacting them in a way that if they see there's some things in their life that's not quite right and doesn’t align themselves with what the Bible says -- hopefully our music impacts them in a way that makes them want to change it. "

...They can come to the concert. Murderers? Prostitutes? hopefully our music impacts them in a way that makes them want to change it...

Ooh Lord Have Mercy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm just tired and weary and some things just make me wanna holler...And its the NAACP Image Awards...NAACP...Image Awards...Of course this same organization (NAACP) awarded these same two the Outstanding Gospel Artist Award in 2009 and Outstanding Gospel Song Award in 2010 and has awarded Gospel singer Donnie McClurkin with an Image Award and a nomination (just google Donnie McClurkin + homophobia to see how venomous this "ex-gay" now "reformed" black, gospel "superstars" particular brand of anti-gay hate filled speech can be)

Lord have Mercy...Save us from your followers Dear Jesus...

The NAACP...The IMAGE Awards...

And as Mary Mary began to give their energetic faith infused performance, I proudly walked out of the room. For me the awards show was now officially over...

"First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."

Martin Niemöller (1892 - 1984)

No comments: